Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The End, or Home Again, Home Again

Our last day of travel was getting through KY, WV, VA, and NC. It was a very long day. We stopped for a break in Beckley, WV to see Tamarack. It is a craft area where West Virginians show off their talents. We happened to be there at lunch time, so perhaps that is why we didn't see anyone working. It was a good stop to walk around for a while though. There is a store filled with articles created by WV citizens...hand blown glass, carved wood, braided rugs, paintings, books, sculptures, etc. It is very pricey, but fun to look. It made me very proud to see the handiwork of my fellow natives. #1 bought a leather pouch that is for marbles (WV is a big marble producer), but he will probably store other things in it. #2 bought a corncob pipe. His brother got one last year, and he has envied it ever since. When we left Tamarack, I was reading a book and Hubby was driving. I didn't really know where we were, and he hadn't looked at a map. SO, we missed the turn onto I-77. We were quite a distance past it when he asked where were we to turn. So we did some quick recalibrations and took a scenic road through rural WV to get back to the interstate. I can't say that I am sorry about it. It seems no matter how long I am gone from my WV, I always enjoy returning. Watching the river beside us, I realized that I am still in love with my state. We happened to pass the site of John Henry's tunnel of death and stopped to get a picture. Here is another West Virginian who makes me proud. My boys like to sing "Big Bad John".
Finally we made it home! It was so good to be back where we belong. One of my first writing self-assignments is to write about coming home. Anyway, the "garden" is doing great, and #2 found a watermelon waiting for him. He doesn't like watermelon, and #1 and I aren't crazy about it, so Daddy has a lot of melon to get through. It weighed 22 pounds!
The boys are at a day camp for a few hours and I need to figure out our new English curriculum. This should be the last week of school being topsy-turvy. Right now a routine is looking mighty fine.

No comments: