Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hunger

There is an article in a recent Time magazine that says it isn't so much about exercise as it is about what you eat. Of course it is talking about weight gain and loss. The studies seem to show that exercise only makes you hungrier and so you eat more than you burn off, thus gaining weight. The more correct way to lose weight, or to try and control it, is to move throughout the day and eat less. Everyone likes to eat though. Last night after church I was stopping at Food Lion to get citric acid for some pears I need to can, and all of my guys went inside with me for a "cookie run". As we were checking out, there was another man there on his own cookie run. What is it with men and their cookies? I, myself, enjoy peanutbutter. I like peanutbutter pie, sandwiches, milkshakes, Reese cups, you name it. If it has peanutbutter in it, I will eat it. My animals even like to eat. We were thrilled to see Kelly, the dog, had lost weight while we were on vacation. She had been in a kennel and wasn't able to go eat all of the neighbor's food. The goats stand at the gate at about 5:00 and cry until we feed them. The cat meows at the door when he smells me cooking anything. We even have a rooster, Bill, who will come onto the back porch and crow around 6:00 so that you will feed him. Yesterday, we went to pack bags of food for children who may not eat this weekend. Here in our own sweet Mayberry. Kids who will wish it wasn't the weekend, because there won't be any food. During the school year, they eat through the week at the school, but summer is hard. The Boys and Girls Club tries to make sure they are fed, but there is still the weekend. One local church started packing backpacks for kids' weekend meals. Now that it is summer, they send the kids some food for the weekend in plastic bags. There are breakfast items, snacks, fruit, meat, pudding, and juice. That is what we helped to pack. My boys didn't understand why these kids have no food. I tried to explain that some of them come from families that just don't have enough money to get by, but a good many of them come from families that have parents doing drugs. These parents spend all of the money on drugs instead of caring for their children's needs. One child even asked that they send the food some other way because his mother ate it instead of letting him eat it. My children were shocked. Scripture says that God is so much better than humans. We give gifts to our children, and how much more God gives good gifts to his children. I hope those poor children are watched by God and given abundant gifts.

No comments: