Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Frustration

Frustration can quickly build when one thing after another is added. Yesterday was a frustrating day. The boys were to go to a day camp, and I was planning on getting lots done; mainly I was planning to figure out the boys' online English program. I purchased it a couple of months ago, after a lot of English Grammar Investigation, and I found just what I was looking for. The boys will be able to do the work online, and I will only have to grade their writing assignments. The program will grade other assignments and tests. I tried to get everything set up several weeks ago, but had trouble getting through on the log-in page. It kept thinking I was the student instead of the teacher. I took the boys to the farm where they were to have the day camp, and the rest of the campers were late. So I waited for half an hour or more, and then got home with about 3 1/2 hours left to work. I checked my email- always a big mistake- and discovered that I had some co-op administration duties to take care of. Then I needed to look up information on the National Geographic Geography Bee and Envirothon so that I could present them at the home school suppoort meeting last night. When I finally was able to begin my English Grammar duties, I had about an hour and a half left. I was again unable to log on, so I decided to contact the company via telephone to get some customer support. I decided it might be a very long phone call, so instead of using my minutes on the cell phone, I opted to use the Magic Jack. The computer that the Magic Jack is supposed to use hadn't been used in a while, so it took half an hour or more to get that working. Finally, I got through to the company. The operator worked with me for a little while and then said, "I can't seem to get it to work. If it isn't working there really isn't anything I can do about it because they are phasing out this program instead of fixing problems." Yes, you heard that right. I think I shouted into the phone, "But I just bought this!" Yes, she understood, in fact she had just recently found out about the change herself. I asked if I could get my money back, and she said she would ask her manager what they would do for me. I needed to pick up the boys by the time that conversation was over. So I left to get the boys, more frustrated at now being farther behind in my English Grammar Investigation than before. Thank goodness I was having dinner with friends. Just as we were finishing dinner and heading to our support meeting, I received a phone call from Hubby, "We are at Sam's and the car won't start." Lovely. So one friend went with me to Sam's, and we tried to jump Hubby's car. No luck. A call to AAA sent a tow truck on the way, the friend gave me a ride to the meeting, and Hubby and the boys took my van. What a day. The good news is that the car wasn't too bad off, needing new terminals and a new battery, and I do get my money back from the English online program. The bad news is I still haven't finished that investigation. The boys don't seem to see it that way. I guess one woman's frustration is another child's joy.

No comments: