Thursday, April 01, 2010

Scheherazade

This was the latest play here in Actor World. It was last weekend, and it wore me out so much I am only now getting pictures up! #1 was in both the first and second acts, so that meant the two weeks before the play we were there EVERY night! I had hoped he would get a small part (and he did) so we wouldn't have to be there so often. I guess if your part is in both acts, it doesn't matter how big the part is.
A lot of time is spent waiting backstage. Above, the kids are waiting for one of their scenes, or maybe it was for the curtain call. Below, they are waiting for their scenes to come up. Some kids read, most talk or play games. There was some weird card game going on called Peanutbutter and Jelly. I never knew what that was about.
#1 played the part of Captain Hussain. He was the Captain of the Guard and took all of the women to the king on their wedding. He was supposed to be a hot item for the girls of the harem. He did appear to be rather popular with some in real life. His mother was a bit disturbed by this! I help with stage make-up for the plays, so I see a lot of what goes on backstage. I need to have a lesson on how to hug a girl from the SIDE, not the front.
Below are two friends. The first on the left is a 4H friend who takes care of our animals when we go places. She is a sweetheart that we don't see enough of. This was her first play. The girl in the middle is a theater friend and also a sweetheart. We ran into her yesterday at the History Day at the university. I mentioned later in the van what a nice a girl she is..."Yeah, but she sure talks a lot." I managed not to laugh out loud. He isn't used to girls, I guess. Of course this is the boy that wanted cows when he was younger so he could talk and they could listen. Maybe this girl just didn't let HIM talk enough!
Notice how tall he is next to them. He is a few months older than them. I thought Middle School girls were supposed to be taller than boys. He grew a couple of inches during the two months of play practice, and his costume had to be refitted.
The play went well and I think he had a good time. This was the first time that he chose to go to the cast and crew party afterward. He also went to the party at McAlister's Deli the first night of the play. He asked that his family not attend. We dropped him off at 9:25 and he called at 10:50 to come get him. The bad part was that he waited until everyone else was gone before he called us! He was waiting outside with another parent; the waiters had locked them out.

No comments: