Thursday, June 01, 2006

I was washing eggs again today. I have 16 hens that lay and so I spend a lot of time washing eggs- they don't come out clean like at the store. Last week as I was washing I had this thought. The chickens I have lay eggs of many colors and shades. They have bumps and deposits, and are often odd shaped. Some eggs are really large and others are small. They are not at all like store eggs- all the same size, shape, and color without any blemishes. But inside- Boy what a difference! My eggs have brilliantly colored yolks. They taste stronger and have a meatier texture to them. They taste great and fill you up. They do have some blemishes inside, but it goes unnoticed because of the flavor. Store eggs on the inside look bland and taste the same. I saw some devilled store eggs a couple weeks ago and I was surprised by their palor. It takes more store eggs to fill me up than it does farm eggs. As I thought about this, I also thought about Hollywood. It seems the people there all look the same- size, shape, and color without any blemishes. And it also seems that when you crack those people open you often find their insides to be bland and tasteless, without much substance. The people I know, on the other hand, are many shapes, sizes and shades. They are full of life inside and out. When you crack them open personality and intrigue spill out, as well as some dark spots. But their taste is so much better for it. I guess I like my friends to be "organic free range friends" instead of factory processed.

No comments: