Wednesday, June 07, 2006

There is nothing new under the sun; so says Ecclesiastes. Yesterday my husband and I were able to get away for a few hours. We went to the town of Bath, NC. It is the oldest town, est. 1705. They have tried hard to make it a tourist attraction, putting up historical markers of things that might have been, but really it is just a quaint old town. Then we went to Washington and walked along the boardwalk through the wetlands. We had a nice dinner and came on home to finish up work and projects. Today I was reading James and noticed again in chapter 3 the discussion of taming animals, even sea creatures. I guess they had a SeaWorld even in ancient times. Then I read some more of Brother Lawrence, from the 1600s. He dealt with physical ailments and sins, just like I do. He went about his daily work, trying to discover God in all he did. 2,000 years ago, 400 years ago, 300 years ago, today...we are all still doing the same things. Work, family, suffering, sins, enjoying friends and family, taming the world and all that is in it, trying to find God...nothing is new under the sun.

No comments: