Friday, March 16, 2007

I was thinking yesterday about how rich I am. I have a wonderful husband who makes comments like, "I can't afford the wife I have." (He told me this means that I am worth a lot more than he can afford. I'm still not sure that was the intent, but it was his explanation.) I have great kids that I get to homeschool and be with a lot. I get to have more kids several times a week and I get payed for it. I have good friends who come to help me. I have a great home and place to live. I am able to spend time outside....on and on it went. I am RICH!!! _________ We have been working on digging a pond for our backyard habitat. It is supposed to be 2-3 feet deep so that amphibians can hibernate in the winter. Yesterday we hit the water table. A lot of learning went into that--where did the water come from, where will it go? But I suppose the most learning was the mud wrestling. 4 of the boys were out there, knee high in mud, declaring dragon nests, jumping in puddles, etc. I was digging and enjoying their play, when I heard #4 yelling at something under the van to get out. I thought it was the dog or cat and I went on with my digging. A short while later, he yelled for #3 to come and see. #3 came running back to me to say #4 had caught a mouse. Indeed he had. He was holding a live, wild mouse by the tail. Thankfully it didn't bite him, and I sent him to wash right away. We fed the mouse to the dog and had a little biology lesson. That was what made me start thinking about how rich I am. It was a fun afternoon that will be a memory to keep forever. I have riches you can not steal.

No comments: