Thursday, March 01, 2007

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. ... The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. James 1 and 3 I struggle with the sin of lying. I don't tell big ones, just ones to get me out of spots. I have taken control of it as I have gotten older, but yesterday I fell off of the wagon. I had a phone call from a telemarketer, and I didn't want to take it. So I said my usual, "No there is no one by the name of STEED here." (Wrong pronunciation.) But this guy kept going, "Is this 555-5555?" "Yes." And then he asked spellings and continued to question facts. I finally gave the phone to my husband and asked him to get me out of this. The amazing thing is that a few hours later, on another phone call, I lied again. It had been so long since I had struggled with this, that I was shocked by how quickly I turned back. There was a woman who had emailed me and I didn't want to deal with her- she is the type of person who is needy and I wasn't wanting to get involved- and so I didn't respond. When she called on the phone she asked if I had received the email and I lied and said, "No." As simple and quick as that. So this morning I headed back to James to get myself back on the straight and narrow. The tongue certainly is a world of evil.

No comments: