Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My reading this week is one I have enjoyed by Hadewijch of Antwerp. She says, "Be on your guard, therefore, and let nothing disturb your peace. Do good under all circumstances, but with no care for any profit, or any blessedness, or any damnation, or any salvation, or any martyrdom; but all you do or omit should be for the honor of Love (God). If you behave like this, you will soon rise up again. And let people take you for a fool; there is much truth in that. ...You are still young, and you must grow a good deal, and it is much better for you, if you wish to walk the way of Love, that you seek difficulty and that you suffer for the honor of Love, rather than wish to feel love." I don't think this world is ready to hear do all for another because of the other. It is hard to serve God only for God's sake. I want something out of it. But I like the way Hadewijch puts it better than Brother Lawrence. I struggled with his teachings last fall. This seems to make more sense to me, even though it is saying the same thing. Serve God because he is God.

No comments: