Thursday, April 26, 2007

I read a book called Real Citizenship this week. The boys and I are going to a government workshop next week and our homework was to read this book. I read it and will discuss it with the boys. Some of it isn't appropriate for their ages, but it did give some good ideas about how to be involved in government. One chapter was about the power of one and what just one person can do. Last night we were discussing dress codes of schools for class and for proms. There is evidently a prom dress code this year. I heard the code and it seems very reasonable. If you are wearing less than what it requires, then you should have a sheet over you anyway. I also was reading an article this week about small businesses starting up modest clothing lines because women are tired of having to dress like Britney Spears. There was also some mention of young girls not having much choice in clothing because of the immodest looks. I have heard friends mention that as well. Then there was the article yesterday about Bratz dolls and the sexy body image that they are trying to promote to very young girls. Not that the dolls are curvy, but that it is all about the clothes that you wear, and many of them are skimpy. So in light of all of the things I have been reading lately, I have a plan. I am going to write to the local mall and ask that the shop window of Victoria's Secret be a little more modest. I don't go to the mall because #1 I hate to shop, and #2 I can't stand to walk past that store. It isn't that I have a problem with what they sell. I have been known to wear some of it. BUT I don't want to walk past it with my young boys and have to explain it. They look at it and know it isn't something they want to see. So I will see what happens with the power of one. Anyone else want to join me?

No comments: