Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A house does not a home make. I have been in houses that did not make me comfortable, and I thought, "I am glad I don't live here." One of the best compliments I ever received was when we lived in Arlington. I had a Bible Study group over to the house, and one of the ladies said, "Your house is so homey. I feel very comfortable here." I enjoy having people in my home just to visit and share with each other. Home is important to me.
Our first home as a couple was a 10x20 trailer. We lovingly called it "The Shoebox." It was carpeted and I didn't have a vacuum. I would broom sweep it out. There were actually two bedrooms, but we used the second as a closet; it was that small. The refrigerator's freezer never kept things frozen. But we had friends over to visit, for dinner, or to play games, and it was home.
Our second abode was actually Federal Housing that the college had. It was a one bedroom apartment in a row of five apartments. Most of the rooms were rented by other students, but not all were. We had neighbors that weren't students. They were mentally handicapped and evidently didn't understand how to clean a house. We had a problem with roaches the whole time they lived there. The refrigerator here would never keep anything frozen either, so we seldom had ice cream for dessert. But even with the embarrassment of roaches and the lack of ice cream, we enjoyed entertaining friends, often sharing morning tea with a friend who was a few doors down. That was a sweet home in our young marriage.
Then we moved far away to Abilene, Texas. We had student housing again, but these were apartments only intended for students. They were the oddest built things, fitting into each other like Jenga pieces. You guessed it, the refrigerator was a bust. This one would freeze too much. I was defrosting that thing every month! So we broke down and bought a chest freezer to help store meals since I had little time to cook with working two jobs. But somehow time for friends was available, and our home was often filled with dinner guests and great discussions. We were sad to leave that home.
Have I mentioned that I did not get to pick any of these homes? They were always chosen for me by someone else due to the circumstances. Well, Philadelphia was no different. We couldn't pick out a place from so far away, so my in-laws went for us and found a two bedroom apartment in a quaint little village near the seminary. There was a square in the middle of town with a park, stores, restaurants. It was a great place to get out of the big city and enjoy a slower pace as we started our family. We did entertain friends here, but the most common guests were family hoping for some time with two beautiful boys. And by the way, the refrigerator freezer worked great...of course the whole refrigerator would freeze things, and we would have to unplug it at night so our food wouldn't freeze, but hey, at least we could have ice cream.
We spent a while living with my in-laws while Hubby wrote his dissertation, and that home was filled with such generosity that can't be described. Hubby's parents moved out of their bedroom so that we could be on the same level as the boys, and gave us the whole upstairs to live in while they stayed in the basement for over a year. The refrigerator and freezer both worked well, and were able to renew friendships with friends in Hubby's old home.
Finally we were able to move into a house when we went to Arlington. Hubby picked it out, while I waited in WV for everything to get settled. He picked us up at the airport on a dark, damp evening, and we drove to our new home. I remember thinking, "This place is so closed." Privacy fences are very important to people in the Metroplex area. Everyone has at least a six foot fence closing their world off from everyone else's. But even here I was able to enjoy having people in my home. We entertained many angels in that home: college students, friends, other kids, family, and sometimes strangers. We tore down the fence and put in a cute picket that allowed us to get to know many more neighbors. It was a good home...AND we bought a refrigerator and freezer that worked great!
Packing up that home four years ago today was one of the saddest things I have done. It was our first home, where our children celebrated birthdays and holidays. Easter egg hunts would never be the same anywhere else. Friends told us goodbye and wished us well, but the house, no the home, was telling us goodbye too.
So finally, I picked out a home for us. We had been married 14 years before I got that pleasure. When Hubby saw it I think he thought I had lost my mind. There were spiders with huge webs everywhere, and the house smelled old and musty. But with lots of love and some updating, it has become quite a beauty. But even the beauty isn't what I love about it. There is a warmth to this home. The open glass doorways, the many bright windows, all let in the light from outdoors. And there is a movement about this house that just invites you to go visit and enjoy one another. Here, too, we have had friends and family visit often. Nearly every week there is someone here to share a meal or just a word. It is definitely "Home Sweet Home."
And the refrigerator is great!
Here is our newest home filled with lots of memories and friends and family that we love.

No comments: