Sunday, October 12, 2008

I have been trying to keep to my retreat goals. I have been slowing down and smelling more roses. I hate leaving the kitchen messy at night, but the kids are getting read to again, and I feel less frazzled. Last night was our celebration barn dance. We had two months of a square dancing co-op in which one of the moms, a former PE teacher, taught us how to square dance. It was a lot of fun once you learned all of the lingo. We practiced first at the church, and then last night was in the top of our barn.
Sometimes we didn't have enough kids. Then I would have to jump in and dance. I am telling you that the females work harder at square dancing than the males! You definitely get a workout. Here you see a brother try to trip another as they do a right hand star. Gotta love those brothers. The right left chain is a lot of fun once you know what you are doing. It is a weave in and out, girls going one way and boys the other.
Last night at the dance, we had the dads try some of the dances. It was hard for them because they didn't know the language or the moves. The calls are hard to hear when everyone is moving and laughing, too.Circle left is a pretty easy one, but learning to make it all the way around the circle in time for the next call is tricky.Here is a group picture of the dancers. There were some who didn't make it, but the barn was full anyway. We had hay bales in the corners to sit on, and punch to drink. I think we will do it again. Anyone up for a dance?

No comments: