Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Birth-Snow-Inauguration Day

Guess what WV?! It DOES snow in Eastern Carolina! It doesn't happen often, but we actually have snow. The schools and government buildings started closing Monday night, just at the announcement that there may be snow! By 5 a.m. Tuesday we still had nothing. In WV that means, forget it kids and get ready! But by 6:30 it had started covering a little bit, and this picture was taken around 7:30 a.m. The neighbor's house was "foggy" from the snow; the roads still not sticking.After we finished our school work, we headed to a friend's house to play in the snow. I left the house about 1:30 and the roads were actually starting to get bad. Hubby called me at 2:30 to say I needed to head home; he had done a full circle spin while he was out and about. The kids were sad, but home we went.The icicles were beautiful hanging from the roof. We had about 4-5 inches by the end of the afternoon. It left some great footprints, but they didn't photograph so well.
Even with that much snow, you could still see some grass. Maybe that means I should have mowed one more time last fall.
Around 5:00 the roads were slushy, but temps were falling. We decided to stay home for my birthday dinner, so that I could live to see another year.
This is our drive.
This is the stack of grass I use in the chicken coop. The goats live behind the wooden part. Thankfully this is the south side of the barn. There's less bitter wind there. Poor Darkie and Mary got trapped on the side of the pen without straw and were shivering when we found them. Goats don't like rain, and they really hate snow. I'm glad the kids aren't due for another month!
Happy for some hay and grain! We've been breaking ice off the water buckets too. Some chickens prefer the coop, but others like the rafters of the barn. I would expect them to freeze, but they fluff out their feathers and get instant insulation. Their naked feet are warm beneath them!
I thought the holly tree berries were pretty covered in snow. The boys have been enjoying climbing this tree lately. I don't understand it; they come out cut and scraped. This is the lovely septic alarm that started going off Sunday night. I am still waiting for the guys to come out and look at it! People won't travel in this weather. So I haven't been doing much washing, and the boys haven't showered: a precaution they are happy about! This is the barn and woods across from our place. I love snow hanging on tree branches. This was last evening before I came in from feeding the animals. Happy Birthday.
------------
This morning we were thrilled to see the snow had hung around! It surprised me how I missed seeing snow like that. It is just absolutely beautiful. In all things bad (cold, wind, wet, danger) there is always something good. My "extra" kids came at noon today to stay until 5. They have all been enjoying the snow. Well, almost. #2 and #4 fell in the pond. They were trying to see how far they could go out on the ice.
These icicles are hanging down in front of our bedroom window. It was a gorgeous morning.

No comments: