Friday, January 16, 2009

It's Cold Outside

Hubby and I took my wedding and engagement rings to the jewelers last week to get resized. I took them off some time last spring because my finger had permanent indentations. It took several months before you couldn't see the marks! I got the rings back yesterday, and they look great. They look like they did 20 years ago. I probably should have taken them for cleaning and polishing before this. The jeweler kept asking if I wanted to look at other things too, but I told him the only jewelry I wear is right there. The good news? I have only gone up half a size in 20 years!
I called my sister-in-law a few days ago, and we talked about the weather. It was to be one degree for the high there yesterday, and today's high is to be a heat wave at six degrees! It is 17 here this morning, I believe, and we are planning to have a cold day at school. The boys have some work that has to get done, but other than that we are making hot chocolate and reading a book I have been saving for just such a day, A Blizzard Year. Not that we have snow or anything beautiful like that, but perhaps the cold will help us imagine it. Luke, the cat, always sits in the doorway and watches us through the glass. #1 let him in this morning to warm up a bit. He is a sweet cat, lots of purring. He has been disappearing lately. The electrician has to go under the house a lot, and the cat likes it there. We keep hearing mewing and finding him there at dinner time. I guess he likes to eat too.
This is our silly dog sleeping on the back deck. She was enjoying the sunshine yesterday. It is always startlingly funny to walk past the sunroom and see her out there looking like she's been shot.
-------------
Last night after basketball practice we were listening to the radio and heard a song something like this: I don't remember any speeches from high school, not the Gettysburg Address or the Preamble to the Constitution, but one speech I do remember. Come on in, sit down and tell me 'bout yourself, so you like our daughter, we do too, she's really something else. Treat her with respect like she deserves. Go have some fun, I'll be here when you get back still cleaning my gun.
The boys misunderstood at first and thought he was cleaning gum. What does that mean? When I told them "gun" they wanted to know why it would take all night to clean and why would he say that anyway. They really are clueless.
#1 asked me something about dancing recently and when I asked him why we don't dance (I am joking) he said, "You get kids that way." That's right. We believe in telling half truths that keep you out of trouble. ; > )
They were at a friend's house last week, and the 15 year old daughter was getting ready to go to a formal party. It was her first formal and she wanted to look nice. So she got all dolled up and walked through the room full of my two boys and her younger brother. No cat calls, whistles, or clapping. All the poor thing heard was, "Get out of the way! We can't see the tv screen!" They just aren't there yet.

No comments: