Sunday, January 11, 2009

Miscellaneous

The weather has been wild around here lately. You might go out in shorts, and a few hours later need a coat! The sun shines, and an hour later it is raining. Wind was a factor recently too. Trees were uprooted about 2 miles from here, and a large greenhouse was basically destroyed. I started backing out Wednesday night to go to church, and felt the van catching on something. The basketball hoop/goal had been blown over and was behind the van.
The neighbor's trampoline was mangled and ended up in our field. They haven't come to get it yet; perhaps they are hoping we will put it back together.

My children have been wooing me with their words lately. Here's a real gem: "Mom when you were a kid during the Great Depression did you ever..." "I was not a kid during the Great Depression!" "OK, when you were a baby during the Great Depression..." "I was not even thought of during the Great Depression!" "Well, then, when you were a kid and the Depression was going on..." They just kept digging the hole bigger.

This one from #1: "Momma, I've been meaning to tell you that someone is leaving Christmas trees on our property, back near the goats!" "Yes, I've noticed that." "Isn't that illegal or something?" "Yes, but we gave them permission to do it." Glad he is so concerned about the legality of it all. We are having college kids over next weekend to burn a bonfire.

Then this morning from #1 during church: "Mom, I forgot to tell you that I accidentally played a T-rated video game yesterday. I quit as soon as I found out." He had been at a friend's house and was playing Star Wars. When he later saw the box, and the rating, he told the family he couldn't play it and why. The mom told me about it last night. I was glad that he is so honorable and trustworthy. It will help him later when he wants to borrow the car.

The house repairs just keep coming. The box is in now for the new wires, and a lot of new wires are in the box, but what all is left to do I don't know. I know smoke alarms have to be wired into it all still, and we went light shopping Friday night. All of the lights would have to be rewired and put back, so we are taking this opportunity to put in new lights. That is 7 new lights! Just hope I last through all of this this year. I think the staircase starts in a couple of weeks.

This is our new neighbor's house. The husband came out during #2's birthday party and introduced himself. We were having a fire and weenie roast to the left of the picture, sort of in his back yard. They have a 5 year old daughter and a 5 month old daughter. I guess we won't be playing with them so much. I hope they like the smell of "billy goat in hot pursuit." I plan on making cookies today and sharing some with them. Never hurts to make a friend of a neighbor!

No comments: