Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Good Food, Good Meat

We are very blessed that every year my parents butcher a beef for us. It is really good meat. I am used to the meat now, so it always surprises me when guests comment on how good the meat is. Fresh is best, that's for sure. Before Christmas, we enjoyed having a few evenings free. It was nice to spend some relaxing time together as a family. We played games, watched movies, and ate good food. One night I broke out the old fondue pot. The boys love having fondue. It's the dipping that gets them excited, I think. I found a fondue cookbook while we were on our anniversary trip in Myrtle Beach. It suggested using broths instead of oil to cook your meat and veggies. I will have to try that soon.
I didn't buy the fondue book though. I bought one called Deceptively Delicious. It is a book dedicated to getting veggies into your kids. I read it one day over our Christmas holiday, and I have tried a couple of recipes since. This one yesterday was a hit with #2. I had to try it twice to get the breading just right, but he was happy to be the guinea pig. The recipe is for Mozzarella Sticks, and it has cauliflower in it. #2 doesn't know that though. His comment? "It tastes just like the restaurant's!" I think I have a winner!!
Right now I am making pepperoni rolls and chocolate chip cookies for our field trip tomorrow. I love being able to feed my family well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes? I think it's better than potatoes and hard to tell the difference.

Angel said...

No, but I think I have had them mixed together. #2 isn't big on potatoes though, so I think I will stick to the cheese sticks.