Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I took #2 to the state park on Sunday to hear a talk on "Birds of Prey". He didn't enjoy the talk so much, but we did have a great time together. During the talk, the ranger showed pictures from around the park. I was pretty sure I could find this osprey's nest, so afterward we went for a hike. Sure enough, we found it and walked around the cove to get a better look at it.
The above picture is as close as my camera could get to it. The picture below shows you how close we actually could get to it. We had a nice time hiking around though. It was good to be outside after so much indoor time. Today is finally a little warmer, but I am really looking forward to a few days from now when it will be in the 50s and maybe even 60 degrees!
We weren't the only ones out there on our hike. We saw lots of deer tracks and other critters. As long as we didn't see any bears I was ok. We think these were coons. Speaking of coons, the name of our Envirothon team has been decided. Go "Dirty Coon Foresters"!
----------- Today was a hard day for my family. It was the day of the Geography Bee. We had to have 6 kids to have an official bee, and we were way short. I scrounged up some children last minute to participate, including #1. Wouldn't you know, #1 won. Once he found out that he had to take a written test, and if he won I expected him to study for the next Bee, he quickly declined the award, and #2 was named the Champion. #2 had issues with his pride and didn't want to win that way. I certainly understand, but the principle of the thing is that he studied hard, beat the only other kid that had studied, and he will put the effort into it that #1 won't. It was a hard lesson and decision for all of us.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: