Sunday, January 17, 2010

Heaven on Earth

Again I will say it, "I love our church." This month we are focusing on the community of believers, and I love the community I am in. We may be small, but we are very busy for the Lord and for each other. Our motto is "Christ in Us, Christ to Others", and I think we live it well. The youth group this month is putting their faith into practice on Sunday mornings. Last week we had a special prayer time for miracles, praise, and petitions. Then the kids wrote notes to those for whom they had prayed. The notes were mailed throughout the week, so that people would get encouraged other days than just Sunday. Today we talked about ways that we can be Christ here on earth. One way, it is said, is to welcome strangers and aliens into your home. We did the reverse of that and wrote cards to soldiers who are far from home. The soldiers in Afghanistan have to have supplies air dropped because the roads are basically nonexistent. We made cards that will be put into their care packages to let the soldiers know they are being thought of and prayed for. Next week we will pack lunch bags for the homeless. They have to leave the shelter by 8:00 and don't get a lunch. At suppertime they can come back to the shelter to be fed and get a bed. Our youth are packing lunches during Bible class and delivering them to the shelter. People at church have already donated about half of what we need for the 80 lunches. It is such a generous group of people. But we don't just serve together, we rejoice together. During church, one of the men received a text message. He announced between songs that the baby had been born. One of our families had headed to Virginia this morning for the birth of their first grandchild. You just don't have such "interruptions" in a church that is larger or not as much a community as ours. After church we shared a meal together, visited and laughed together. Christ was here in our town for a while today. It was Heavenly. ----------- Last Sunday it was very cold here. You will remember I took #2 to the state park for a hike to see the osprey nest. One week later I am sitting outside watching the goats. It is a gorgeous day here, warm and mostly sunny. I have let the goats out to graze in the yard next to the barn, and I am sitting outside with my computer and watching them. This is another little piece of Heaven on Earth. Enjoy your Sunday, Everyone. ---------- I will wait a couple more days before I say what was in my refrigerator, but the only guess has been sweet potatoes. Nope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know you were making 80 lunches! I'll get some juice boxes this week and bring them Wednesday night. Do you have any eggs? not sweet potatoes, hmmm, can't figure it out!

brightleigh said...

We love you guys also! The orange stuff in your refrigerator...is it soup?

Angel said...

No, it isn't soup. It isn't anything you would expect. Personally, I was stunned.

SCV22867 said...

My guess is left over parts or chemicals from cleaning/tanning deer.