Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hackers are Vultures

I have been hacked. Someone in China evidently figured out my password and used my email to contact people about a wonderful shopping experience that brings "surprising happiness." Sorry if any of you received that. So I spent the day trying to figure out how to fix the problem and then to change my password. So far no luck with either one. I am about to the point of having to change my email address. I HATE to do that because I have had it for about 15 years and everyone who knows me can figure it out quite easily. Since we have moved often, that makes it easy for people to keep up with me. I took a picture of these vultures a few weeks ago, just because they were neat looking, but now I know why. I want you to imagine faces of hackers on those birds!!! ------------------ #2 saved some of his money from Christmas so that he could buy a desk for his room. His brother got a desk when Grandma's house was cleaned out this summer, and #2 decided it would be nice to have one as well. We suggested he try the surplus store at the university and headed over there yesterday for the preview. Alas, they won't open until next week. Since #2 has been so patient in waiting for the desk, and he wouldn't be able to go to the weekly sale for another 3 weeks because of other commitments, I took him over to the resale store for Habitat for Humanity. He found a nice desk there for $35. I showed him that it was missing a handle on one of the doors, and told him to ask the sales clerk if she would take $25 instead. He walked up to the clerk and made his request in a clear, strong voice. She said she would look it over and walked to the desk with him. She was a little hesitant, saying the desk had just come in a week ago. #2 spoke up that it is missing a handle on the door. The girl agreed that that would be a problem and sold it to him for $25. He was so proud. On the ride home he told me he wants me to be with him when he does things like that because he is stronger with support. "I still need you to help me with things like that now. When I am older I will be more confident to do it alone." No matter how old you are, support gives a lot of courage. ------------ The desk seems to help. He came downstairs today with quite a bit of his school work done at an early hour. It might be the best $27 (tax) investment that boy ever made.

No comments: