Monday, May 17, 2010

Another Accident

Friday went well in Raleigh. My boy received honorable mention. The competition was fierce, but he really held up well. His speech was by far the most original, comparing the soil to the story of Frankenstein, but he just didn't have the animation to pull it off. The other kids had their speeches memorized, and the girls especially were very dramatic and interesting to listen to. #2 went with us and now he has a good idea of what he is up against next year. When we got back from the competition the boys wanted to go biking in the neighborhood. They had been sitting still all day long and I thought it was a good idea. A little while later #2 came running back in telling me that #1 had had another accident and needed me. My stomach lurched, and I ran for the van. I thought I better drive over in case I needed to carry him somewhere. My baby is much bigger than I am, and there was no way I could have carried him without the van. When I got to him he was standing, and his body was covered in dirt with a few scratches. He had missed the turn, gone into the ditch, flipped over the handle bars and landed on a big rock pile. Thank God he had his helmet on or I am sure you would have been asked for more prayers! The bike- less than a week old- is ruined. I think we will try taking it to a bicycle shop to see if they can fix it since it is so new. We also will be keeping him off bikes for a while. He has grown so quickly that I think perhaps his body hasn't kept up and he is too awkward. Anyway I told him I can only be 40 once, and he is ruining it for me. He is sending me straight to 50 or even 60! Saturday we worked on the yard and the garden. I have the garden looking rather good now. It is raining and cooler so that has to help as well. #2 went to a youth rally on Saturday and had the best time. Yesterday we mostly relaxed. It was a good weekend, after Friday anyway, and now we are back to work. I am enjoying the time to CLEAN my house. Today we are focusing on the kitchen and #1 is scraping paint from the ceiling. We had some paint start peeling a while back but I put off fixing it until I could have some free time. Summer vacation is here and now free time is fix-it time. I have pictures of the speech contest and other things, but I will wait to put those up when I have more of my work done. I'm on a roll and need to keep at it. Have a great day everyone!

No comments: