Wednesday, August 09, 2006

From The Genesee Diary: "I'd better start thinking a little more about my attitude toward work. If I have learned anything this week it is that there is a contemplative way of working that is more important for me than praying, reading, or singing. Most people think that you go to the monastery to pray. Well, I prayed more this week than before but also discovered that I have not learned yet to make the work of my hands into a prayer." I often find myself angry or resentful when doing my work. Why am I still working when everyone else is playing, relaxing, whatever? Doesn't anyone see how much I am doing? Why doesn't anyone offer to help? I especially get this attitude toward my husband. But I was wondering what would happen if I saw my work, not as drudgery that I alone must attend to, but as a prayer to God and a gift to my family? Will this change my resentment and anger? So it is my prayer now to work. I am trying to see my work as a gift to those around me. A gift given freely and joyously, not with strings or compulsion. "Be joyful always; pray continually;give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess 5:16-18

No comments: