Monday, August 14, 2006

I am reading a book called Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres. I picked it up at the library on the new books shelf. I don't normally even look at that shelf, but I was having trouble finding a different book and thought it might be there. It wasn't but this book looked interesting. Interesting it is, but also quite disturbing. It is a memoir of her childhood, especially the teen years in the 1980s, living in Indiana with her Jesus Freak parents. It was all a facade, because a lot of abuse and neglect was going on in that home. When she was 16 or 17 she got into trouble with the law and her father came to pick her up at the police station. She told the cop she didn't want to go home with her father, and the cop told her the 2 choices were her father or jail. She chose jail. You would think that would cause an investigation, but it didn't. My intrigue with the book is that so far Julia hasn't lost her faith. She has rebelled against it, questioned it, but not lost it. She still thinks of God as being a part of the plan for her life, but He doesn't seem as powerful or as interested as I feel Him to be. She still seems to have belief in Him and His power. I am not sure I would. To be told Jesus loves you and you need to be beaten to get rid of the evil within you, seems an evil kind of love.

No comments: