Sunday, August 13, 2006

An olive green plastic book satchel with bright yellow straps sits on the desktop of my childhood memories. I was in second grade and had a new satchel for my school supplies. It was the kind that had metal oval knobs that turn to"lock" the flap closed; we didn't have backpacks back then. I loved the beginning of school; new crayons with sharp tips, fresh paper with no marks, unmarred erasers, even a new set of classic colors markers, of course they were the only colors then, not classic. I waited impatiently to use my supplies. Of course there were new clothes to pick from and I had debated for a couple weeks what would be my first outfit. This was a new school for me. My family moved during the spring of my First Grade and my mother had driven me and my brother to our old school to finish out the year. Now we were living in my father's family home and I was starting on a new adventure surrounded by my family, grandparents included. I didn't know anyone in the school; it was a rural area and I hadn't played with anyone all summer. I was nervous and a little afraid. What if no one talked to me? What if the kids were mean? What if the teacher was a monster?! I sat at a quadrangular table waiting for my fate to be determined by these strangers. A red-headed girl asked my name and introduced herself; Lisa was her name. That was all it took. I had a friend and I settled into my new school as if I were a veteran alum. Lisa became my best friend for many years and my school career was back on track. Children from the New Directions Shelter will likely not have such a great memory. They have left a home of fear and uncertainty only to enter into a new home of different fears and uncertainties. I was surrounded by people who loved me unconditionally and encouraged me to do my best. They are surrounded by women who are struggling to believe that they are themsleves worthy of love and, I imagine, are pushed beyond possibility of encouraging another. Father of All Children, please bless these children with the knowledge that they are loved, even if only by You. Place people beside them who can encourage them and bless them in school and home. Calm their fears, provide for their needs, hear their calls and answer. Amen.

No comments: