Monday, August 28, 2006

I was out milking Millie this morning about 6:50 when the school bus stopped at the end of the lane and tooted the horn. No one came out or got on that I could tell, so I don't know if they were lost or someone nearby was late. It got me to thinking about what it would be like for my children to go to public school. They weren't out of bed until after 7 and there was no way that they would have been ready to leave the house! I have been thinking more and more about "unschooling". I know two young ladies that went to good colleges after being unschooled, and I recently heard of a man who sent his 6 kids to Stamford schooling one hour a day. I read about famous men from history who didn't go to formal school, but were well-educated. And I look at my boys and listen to the things they talk of and wonder what it would be like to let them have free reign with their education. Still thinking. Yesterday they were making maps of what the world would look like from a cat's perspective. I know they are creative, but I wonder if they are a bit strange, too. They must get that from their father.

No comments: