Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I went Christmas shopping last night, as well as looking for some winter shirts for myself. I got rid of most of my long sleeved shirts at the end of last winter because they were looking pretty hard up. So I used my "night off" to take care of shopping. I used to like to shop when I was in high school, but as time has gone on I have liked it less and less. It got to the point several years ago that I would only enjoy shopping a couple times a year, like when the kids went back to school, or when we were on vacation. Now I don't even like to do that much. Last night I decided that I now can say I actually HATE shopping. I could feel the stress building in my neck muscles, the headache was starting, and I was very near tears. When I finally got near to tears, I decided it was time to quit. I think I will do most of the rest of the shopping online. I wasn't really gone that long; a total of 3 1/2 hours from leaving the house to returning. So why did I have so much trouble? I can't decide what the change has been. I think part of it is that I have isolated myself from popular culture so much that I go into shock when I am out in the stores. Also part of it is that I get upset about the way the rest of the world (not necessarily America) lives when I am out buying new things. It stressed me just as much to buy things for myself as it did to buy for others. I put things back several times. I also think it is that I don't care for what others buy themselves so I have a hard time purchasing things that I think are bad buys; for instance a small girl should not be dressing like a woman. I don't know what it is, but I am glad to be able to purchase things via internet. So much for my "night off".

No comments: