Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Yesterday, I attended a seminar at the local University. It was on economics and international education. One of the ladies at my table was talking to me about having taken her students to the recycling center this week. She was saying that petroleum is used to make the plastic bottles that soda come in. I happened to also have the info packet on the US and noticed that in 2004 we had a daily deficit of 11 million barrels of oil. Now why on Earth are we using what we buy to make soda bottles!? While talking about this to a friend who was also at the seminar, she told me her mother-in-law refuses to throw away anything when she comes to visit. She is from India, and they don't throw away anything. They sell their old newspapers to the stores to be used to wrap vegetables and items in, they use plastic bags for everything you can think of, they don't sell garbage bags. I was remembering the recycling and packaging differences in Canada this summer... When will our country join the rest of the world?

No comments: