Thursday, November 02, 2006

Well, I discovered last night that I am/have been more stressed than I realized. I went to my study group, having prepared the 2 lessons I thought we were doing, only to find out they are 2 lessons ahead of that. I evidently had already read these 2 lessons AND discussed them, and had no recollection of it at all!!! I don't remember reading it before or discussing it with anyone. The funny thing is, I got a lot out of the reading this time, that I must not have the first time (I didn't have any previous notes). So, this is from Agnes Sanford: "The One who knew said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven." Happy, that is, are those people who know that their spiritual power is small, that their creeds are imperfect, that their instruction concerning God and man is incomplete. Happy are those who know that they do not know all of truth. For only those who admit their spiritual poverty are willing to learn. "Let us understand then, that if our experiment fails (asking for something in prayer), it is not due to a lack in God, but to a natural and understandable lack in ourselves. What scientist would be discouraged if his first experiment failed? Since we intend with His help to heal our shortcomings, to repair our wiring, we need not fear to test His power by prayer....Moreover, the attaining of such things in prayer involves the swaying of more minds than ours, and is rather difficult... How strange it is that people who fear to do this do not hesitate to pray for the most difficult objectives of all, such as the peace of the world or the salvation of their souls! If they have so little confidence in prayer that they do not dare to test their powers of contacting God by praying for an easy thing, it is probable that their cosmic intercessions are of little force. If everyone who prayed for the peace of the world had enough prayer-power to accomplish the healing of a head cold, this would be a different world within 24 hours." Amen! It was interesting to me that no one else seemed to enjoy Agnes Sanford's excerpt. Since I evidently didn't get anything out of it the first time, perhaps you need to have a bad week to grasp what she is saying.

No comments: