Saturday, November 18, 2006

Thursday was very stormy here, and Friday was the calm after the storm. The difference in the 2 days startled me several times. No one here was injured by the storms, but towns nearby had fatalities. After losing Grandma so suddenly, these deaths only triggered the thought that none of us knows when we will go home. ___________ We had a female friend visit for dinner Thursday night before we all went to a 4-H County Council Meeting. She is a very sweet girl, but she giggles! Boys do not giggle; they rip-roar laugh. A friend of ours just adopted a daughter; they already had 3 sons. I wonder how many differences they will encounter. My husband says one difference is that she knew how to clear the table a whole lot better than the boys. I guess it is just ingrained in females. __________ We finished Geography Co-op yesterday. We have been going for 3 months! It was a wonderful experience and everyone learned a lot, even the moms. Yesterday, #1 reported on MD and made the best crabcakes to share with everyone. #2 reported on WV and shared buckwheat cakes. I tried to tell the moms that buckwheat cakes are sort of an acquired taste- if you have had them you know what I mean- but for me they are more about memory than taste. My grandmother used to make them in the fall when all of the uncles were deer hunting. Before school, I would walk to her house and have buckwheat cakes for breakfast while all of the men came back to report how they had done. I don't know why that seems so important to me, but it does.

No comments: