Sunday, January 21, 2007

Good sermon today. The topic was simplicity. That is a topic we have struggled with all through our marriage. How do you know what is enough? My husband admitted his problem, addiction to books, and how he has had to learn to use the library. I guess I have the opposite problem. I very much hate to have things. As he was preaching I was thinking about all of the things I could get rid of at home. Then he spoke about accepting what we have as a gift from God. He was speaking about being happy with what you have been given- in the sense of not needing/desiring more- but for me it is accepting what I have been given with grace and not disdain. The lesson ended with a tangible, hands-on experience. He had baskets of pretty rocks, all different sizes and we were to choose one. Now we are asked to carry the rock around all week. The reason we are to carry it around? Because we don't have to. How many pretty little things we acquire through life and carry around with us, when we don't really have to. Good point.

No comments: