Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I had a homeschool support group meeting last night. The monthly meetings have gotten smaller over the two years that I have been here, while the organization's growth has grown by leaps and bounds. I don't know why that is, but obviously we aren't meeting the needs of everyone. I was trying to think about why I go, since several topics have not been of interest to me. I suppose the answer is that I have found a community there that I enjoy. If I can encourage someone who does need the topic being covered, then my presence is needed at the meeting. It seems church and Bible study follow the same lines. Why does it seem that some people only go when the topic is what they want to hear? I imagine they haven't built the communal ties that are needed to attend when the reason for your attendance might only be to encourage another person. Christianity is not about me, but about the greater good.

No comments: