Wednesday, November 26, 2008

School's Out, But For Whom?

I managed to survive yesterday. Everyone got where they belonged, and laundry was done, the chicken coop cleaned, and people fed. The septic system is fixed (I hope), and the rewiring is still going on. Hubby and I were able to sneak in a little date at Starbucks yesterday as well. It is a tradition that came slowly to us; why we didn't think of it sooner, I don't know. Tuesday evening is "Guys Night Out" around here. Hubby takes the boys out to eat, and often to do something else, like the library or window shopping, sometimes a movie. But they also have art class from 4:30-5:30 Tuesdays. So normally I drop them off and start my "business," and then he picks them up afterward. Several weeks ago, though, we decided to meet at Starbucks near the university and get in a little visit. Now it has become an important link in our week. Yesterday was the last one for a while, since next week is their art show and then no more classes until January, but at least we will know to meet all semester next time. ------------ The boys were able to finish their school work yesterday. I also filled out their attendance sheets for this semester, and they have completed 102 days of school. That means they are expected to complete 78 days more. We should easily be able to complete that by the end of April. While I was shelving some of the books, I came across one we didn't get to. It is an Usborne Internet Links book about WW1. We finished WW1 this month, and are to begin WW2 in January, so I said, "I want you boys to read this book over break, and look at some of the links." You would have thought I asked them to run naked through a field of mad bulls! "On winter break?! But that's school work." I replied, "It's about war, and it's the computer. You like this stuff. " "But it's school work!" "Think of it as extra-credit." "Extra-credit schoolwork!" Gee whiz. ----------- I came across a grant for people studying for a Doctorate in Education. It is for $12,000! I have to write a 10 page paper, and several other shorter papers, to submit by January 16th. I guess winter break will involve a lot of schoolwork for me.

No comments: