Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Proverbs and Pranks

This time change thing is for the birds! Literally. I hear the roosters crowing in the morning now. I keep waking at 5:00 a.m. ever since the daylight savings went into effect. I guess it is good though. My prayer life is flourishing with that extra hour. I have been asking God for wisdom about what to do when I grow up, as my mother-in-law put it the other day. So today I decided to look to Proverbs, the wisdom book, and see what God might say. The first thing I read was Proverbs 16:1 "We can gather our thoughts, but the Lord gives the right answer." I kept reading...verse 9 "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps." Ok. I have been gathering my thoughts and making my plans, but what the Lord is answering or where he is sending is beyond me. I have asked for open ears and open eyes too, but I feel like I am wrapped in a sheet and can't break my way out. ------------ #1 is writing a book. He started it a day or so ago. Yesterday when we picked up the extra kids from school, he read it aloud to them. It was really good, for a sixth grader. He had movement, action, description, plot...everything he needed. He even used words like "rumble" and "shrill." One description said, "His belly swelled with fear." A lot of what he does is beyond me. He sits in his own little world, writing, drawing, and thinking. I seldom know what he is doing. It was a wonderful glimpse into his world to hear him share his story. ------------ Then there is #2. Sigh. Last night was his night to clean the kitchen after dinner. I used to have them do it alone, but the food flecked dishes draining to collect water got to me. So now I help wash and the boy on duty has to put things away and generally clean up. However, last night I needed to take #1 to play practice, so I did as much as I could and then left #2 with instructions. "Finish drying the dishes, wash off the countertops, and then finish your math lesson." When we got back about 9:00 p.m., the kitchen looked great. The math book was left on the table for me to grade. All looked well. I saw the dog needed water, and took the bowl over to fill at the kitchen sink. I was sprayed and soaked!! #2 had wrapped a rubber band around the handle on the sprayer, so that when the water was turned on it automatically sprayed the unsuspecting person. He is a busy boy, that one. ------------ #2 has a birthday next month, and it is a big one. He hits double digits! So I have been asking him what he would like to do to celebrate. He wants to go to Charlotte to the science museum and ride a bike across the top of the museum. They have a bike set up on a tightrope that you can ride several stories up across the expanse of the museum. When we were there a few years ago he was too short to ride it. Hubby was asking about the safety of it, and I commented that there is a net under it. "Who is Annette? And is she a good catcher?" he asked us. You see what I have to deal with?

No comments: