Thursday, May 21, 2009

Conflict

Yesterday I was involved in a conversation on an e-loop that involved the stance of Girl Scouts on homosexuality. Another woman and I had several "exchanges" about how we felt it ought to be handled. We were kind and respectful to each other, and I think we discovered that we believe about the same things, but we differ in how we would handle the situation. The part that bothered me was that another woman replied to my first response with, "Good grief." As if it weren't important to acknowledge that I may have a point, she just dismissed me. I imagine she assumed she knew where I stood on the issue, and instead of probing as my other friend did, she just gave up. It made me think about religion and its many interpretations. There are many who believe that if you don't see it their way then you are wrong and that is that. I would much rather have a conversation- not a yelling, back-biting, hateful dispute- that leads to better understanding of each other. I can't help but think that the people who knew Jesus best often got things wrong. If those who were with him daily couldn't get it all in their heads, why do we think that we will do any better? Taking Jesus's example and carefully and calmly explaining and probing will get the Kingdom farther than the accusatory self-righteousness of the Pharisees.

No comments: