Thursday, May 14, 2009

How Long Do You Have?

I am reading a book called One Month to Live for a discussion group on Wednesday nights. Last night was our first time to discuss it, and the question was, "If you had one month to live, what 5 things would you change about your life right now?" I actually had a hard time answering that question. There aren't that many things I would change about my life. Most definitely I would stop the work on the house, but since I think I have more than that left I won't be calling a halt to it yet. The only thing I came up with was to spend more time with friends and less time being busy. As for changing that, I said that if I had 2 years left instead of 1 month, I wouldn't change the busyness because most of our busy times are with friends and our children. I have a very nice life. I am watching the news for the first time in weeks. I have to say I have been in a little bubble of house and children. I don't think we have gone to war with anyone else, been attacked, or lost more homes. The big news seems to be some upset on American Idol. I have never followed Idol. I have seen some parts of it, but it never seemed to interest me. I guess at some point I will need to get interested in popular culture, since my boys are getting close to being teenagers, but for now I am safe. I know enough about Harry Potter to keep up with the conversation. I was having lunch with #5 a week or so ago, and commented that I can't believe he is going to be in Kindergarten next year. "Why?" "Because it seems like you were just a baby not too long ago." "Mrs. X, I have been alive for a loonnnggg time." I'm sure in his little world he has been, but it has gone awfully fast for me. I guess that is one thing that I would never change about my life. I like being around to see my children grow up. It occured to me yesterday that by the time I get the boys out of the house I will have spent 20 years raising children. (That is assuming they leave at 18.) 20 years is a career in some occupations! Will it have been worth losing money and benefits for 20 years? Most definitely! No matter how long I get to live.

No comments: