Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I spoke last night at the homeschool meeting on the topic of lesson planning. A rather boring topic and one that doesn't provide much conversation, so we got to visit a lot. Yeah!! I have to say how proud I was of myself. I made a power point presentation and spoke from that instead of notes. I hooked up the computer to the projector, with a bit of help from the manager, and made it through the presentation without one technological glitch! I still don't like technology- I would rather talk to you face to face, I'm not even crazy about the phone- but at least I went at this with confidence. It was good to see old friends after the summer. One has put her oldest child in private school and I was interested to see how that went. She said it is going great and they are really happy with the decision. She was trying to work through the guilt of not having her daughter at home, but letting someone else teach her and instill her values. I don't think homeschooling is for everyone and if it works better for them to be at school, by all means send them. I was also able to verbalize my new relaxed state of schooling. I have been thinking through things for a month or more about my philosophy of homeschooling. This was the first time I was able to put into words what I think my conclusion is. We will take each day as it comes. I have a plan or road map for where we are going, but if there are detours I will patiently deal with them. It is not important that we do all of the math and grammar, or even read all of the great books. It doesn't matter if we go to all of the neat places or if we participate in all of the great events. My children will be exposed to many things through living with us. They will learn a lot because we value education. I love my children and will see that they get the best of what I can give them. And the best that I can give them is an environment of peace and stillness, a place where God can enter their hearts and lives.

No comments: