Monday, September 04, 2006

In today's reading Nouwen was talking about the same struggle I have- Can I serve Jesus no matter what? The abbot said if he would meditate on Jesus until he became one with him, then he would be able to serve Jesus no matter what. Nouwen was unsure though, "What if I meditate in such a way as to make Jesus like me, and not really show him the real self?" It would be just like being with friends, showing them the best you and saving the ugly you for yourself. I couldn't help but think how grateful I am to live in a country where it is not painful to serve my Lord. ________________________ Saturday evening #2 came in to tell me that he ran over a chicken with his bike. I asked if it was hurt and he said he didn't think so, it just lost a bunch of feathers. So I went on and dismissed the thought. Then when I went to feed I noticed the poor pedestrian. I think it may have broken a leg, but it seems to be getting better slowly. I just have to keep the dog away from it. She won't bother the chickens too much unless she knows one is hurt, then she worries herself until she gets hold of it. ________________________ This morning was a devotion to God. Going out to milk Millie, I noticed the fog penetrating every crack of earth, crickets and frogs sounding out their good mornings, spider webs draped in many lengths and patterns, the crunching of rabbits eating, the quiet cluck of chickens. It was still, but not quiet, and it had the aroma of God to me.

No comments: