Friday, June 20, 2008

I did go to the appliance store and the movie yesterday. Then in the afternoon I went to a friend's house to let the kids swim, and after that I went to the doctor. I know it could be the busy schedule messing with me, but I felt awful. It was the usual Spring Strep that I seem to get here. Now I am fogging my way through the day. My mind is too busy to just lie around, but the body is having trouble keeping up. The boys and I watched a special on PBS Tuesday night about China. The changes that have been going on there are amazing. One girl works at a cell phone factory for 40 cents an hour, yet she is happy about this because she can afford an apartment (hole in the wall) and get away from the traditions that say she must marry and stay in the village. There were several stories like that. The amazing part was a man saying the money was great at first, but then he realized it wasn't fulfilling him. He turned to Christianity and is enjoying life more than ever. Next week they have another special on The Underground Church in China. Of course, if you are going to talk about China, you are going to talk about the One Child Rule. One man has 2 daughters by his first wife in a province where you are allowed to have 2 children, and now has one son by his second wife in a different province. I don't know how that works, but she is expecting a second child and they will go to Canada to have the child so that they don't get into trouble. The fine for an extra child can run up to $95,000! Another woman was talking about wanting a career right now and a child later. She was getting pressure from all of the family though to have a child soon. #1 asked a question, "Can a woman pick when she wants to have a child?" I replied, "Well, she is married." "I know, but can she decide when she will have a baby?" I said, "She can't decide exactly when to have a baby, but she can try to not have a baby until she is ready to." "How can she do that?" #2 looked at him in disgust and said, "Birth control pill." (Duh was in his voice.) I still don't understand how the 9 year old, who hasn't had THE TALK knows more than the 11 year old who has.

No comments: