Monday, June 09, 2008

Last summer/fall sometime I wrote about the guy who paid me $22 for a hen. I thought the guy was NUTS! Well, last week the neighbor saw me throwing out a dead chicken- one of my good layers too- and said that they are going for $20-$30 at the auction. I couldn't believe it. I thought he must mean for a group of layers, but no, just one hen. So, Saturday a guy showed up on the porch who has been here before to try and sell me a goat. Saturday he wanted to know if I wanted to sell some of my hens, because he remembered my saying I wanted to weed them out. I said no, I was wanting to get rid of some roosters, but not the hens. At least not until I have some new ones to lay for me. As we continued to talk I realized what he wanted was hens for the sale! He finally told me they are selling $18 and up. I asked if that is for a certain type and he said no, just say that they are laying and the price goes up from there. A guy down the road from us is selling chicks that will start laying in September and he is asking $4 a head. Just so you know, grown hens a couple of years ago sold for $4. Last night I ordered 25 new hens on-line. They will come the second week of July. I have been looking at them for a year, but the price is so much that I have put it off. Well I figured the price is half now of what I would pay around here, so I went ahead and bought what I wanted. This way I get the kind I like. They are called Black Star. They are very friendly and lay great. I had 4 from the first time I bought chicks at Tractor Supply. One was so friendly that the dog mangled it and it died. Another was sold for $22, and I guess the other died; I don't remember. So I am down to one, but she is still my best layer. No one around here has them; I've checked. So in July I will be the proud owner of 25 new baby chicks. But for today we have 3 little ones running around with their mother--very cute. I guess all of that is to tell you chicken and egg lovers that prices will be going up soon at the store.

No comments: