Friday, June 27, 2008

I was listening to a story on the BBC day before yesterday about the drought in Africa and especially the terrible situation in Somalia. I knew Africa was going through drought, but I didn't realize it was so extensive. It makes the drought here in Eastern Carolina look like a rainforest. I have been concerned about the drought here, but that story put it in perspective for me. I can't imagine what I would do if my children were starving, or if I knew that it was imminent. Would I hide food from my neighbors so that my family would have it later? Would I share the last of my food having no idea if there would be any the next day? I can't answer those questions the way I want. I am nearly certain that I would hide food away for my babies. ---------- At dinner last night we were discussing the declining economy. I asked #1 if he wanted to move back to the farm in WV. He visually fell in spirit and asked do we have to? I told him that was what happened in the Great Depression; people moved back to the family farm to try to survive. He said he didn't want to move away from his friends. I told him they would be moving away too. Poor guy thought I was serious. I reassured him that we are here to stay and so are his friends. I guess we will keep the dinner conversation a little lighter for a while.

No comments: