Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We had this song sung at our wedding.
Love One Another
Angry words! O let them never from my tongue unbridled slip. May the heart's best impulse ever check them ere they soil the lip.
Love is much too pure and holy, Friendship is too sacred far,
For a moment's reckless folly thus to desolate and mar.
Let our words be sweetly spoken. Let kind thoughts be greatly stirred.
Show our love to one another with abundance of kind words.
"Love one another," thus saith the Savior;
Children obey the Father's blest command.
I often sing the first verse and refrain to my children to remind them to be kind. Sunday we sang the whole song during worship, and I was confronted with my own unkindness. The night before, while driving back from Charlotte, my husband and I had unkind tones in our voices. The words that went through my head were not one bit kind. In fact, they were so unkind that they shocked me. I apologized after church. Words can hurt, but they can heal as well. May your day be filled with kind words AND thoughts.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Anger is corrosive all right. Also, I think it's an emotion that tends to put people out of touch with their own deeper feelings because when you're angry, you usually see the whole problem as being with someone else and not at least in part with your own reactions.