Thursday, August 14, 2008

Overall, I think I am a good parent. I try hard anyway. But this week I made a big mistake, and I have kicked myself so hard I am black and blue all over. A few weeks ago we let the boys use their savings to buy a camcorder. We got a really nice one, so that it would hopefully last many years and get them through all of their school projects. One of the projects being worked on was a video documentary of day camps. #2 was going to a 4-H day camp this week and I let him take the camera with him, knowing that it was a safe place for him. Well, he left the camera on the van. I had a friend pick him up after camp since I was going to be at co-op. I didn't ask him for the camera when he came because I had already talked to another kid on the trip, and he said #2 was filming the whole time. So I thought he had it with him. That evening, after VBS, I asked for the camera. That's when the bad news came. So yesterday I called the 4-H office, only to find out they had used a county van for the trip and it was returned. It is also used for the public. So needless to say, the camera is long gone. I reported it to the police, and hopefully if it gets to a pawn shop we will get it back. But mostly I am praying that someone will be touched to do the right thing and turn it back in. In the meantime, #2 has to pay for the whole camera, which means his wages are garnished for the rest of the year. He is also grounded from VBS, and has to go to bed at 8:00 for a week. The anger and frustration are starting to subside, but I will likely be muttering under my breath for a long time.

No comments: