Sunday, August 19, 2007

Economics is over. I think it went well, and I had a lot of good comments from parents. They told me several things their children have gone home and talked about, so I think they learned a good bit. Taxes were a big issue with them. We went through a pay stub and looked at all that comes out of your pay, and they decided to do away with taxes. Then we discussed taxes and what they do for us, and most ended up with a grudging willingness to pay taxes. One girl said absolutely not though. I had fun teasing her mother, who is a Democrat, that her daughter is an extreme Republican! I took #1 with me last night to run some errands, and had him do some comparison shopping at Food Lion. He picked out the cheese sticks, Q-Tips, and garbage bags with help. Then I had him look for 2 boxes of cereal while I ran to the restroom. The cereal was a lot harder because it came with the stipulation of 10 grams or less of sugar per serving. He was able to find one box, but I had to pick the other one. He didn't care for the other options. _______________ We went camping on Friday with 4-H. We went to the Outer Banks to see The Lost Colony outdoor drama. It was good; one 6 year old member said it was the best historical play he had ever seen. I think the indians jumping out of the bushes had a lot to do with it. The camping was ok. We got back about midnight and storms started rolling through about 1:30. #1 couldn't stand it and cried to go home. I was afraid he might be sick, like a friend who didn't get to go, so I was up worrying what to do if vomiting started. Finally around 4 a.m. I was able to sleep, though not well since the air mattress had a hole and deflated on me. Then the other kids woke up about 6 a.m. and we were off on another busy day. We let the kids swim in the FREEZING cold waters of the Outer Banks, and then we had lunch and went to the Elizabethan Gardens. It was a fun trip. We love our 4-H club so much. _________________ The trip made us especially tired since I had been called away to the hospital on Thursday night and then cared for two toddlers through the night. One of the ladies I have met through the shelter needed to go to the hospital and she had no choice but to take the kids with her. The nurses were having a terrible time with the kids in the room and asked isn't there anyone who can come and get them. The poor thing has no family and very little in the way of friends. So she called here looking for help. I can't imagine letting my young children walk off to spend the night with what amounts to a stranger.

No comments: