Monday, August 06, 2007

I started reading a book about lectio divina when I was on retreat. I have finally picked it back up. It is by Tony Jones and he has a great way of putting spiritual things on a level I understand. Here is an excerpt: "You might think "the Bible is living" is a weird idea. You might have a Bible near you right now. Look at it. It sits there, inanimate, made of dead trees and maybe bound with the hide of a dead cow. That doesn't seem living in any way. The Bible lives in another sense: Because it's God-breathed, it has the ability to breathe God's spirit into us. Think of it this way: The belief of Christ-followers is that, though the Bible is done being written, it's not done writing. The Bible writes its truths on our hearts, speaking its words constantly into new situations, new times, and new cultures. God's spirit is alive and well and enables us to read the Bible in faith. No other book can make that claim." The book is called read, think, pray, live (yes, lower case). It is short and easy to read. I recommend it. -------------- The first day of camp went well. I had 5 students, tomorrow I will have 3 and then the rest of the week I will have 6. Anyway, 2 of the 3 experiments didn't work well, so it was a trial and error thing, but the kids had fun chasing goats and climbing trees anyway. Tomorrow we look at pond water.

No comments: