Wednesday, August 29, 2007

This week has been Science Camp at my house. I have 6 students, including my own 2 kids, and each day is devoted to a different branch of science. So far we have done Biology, Botany, and Chemistry. Tomorrow is Astronomy and then Physics. We are doing as much hands on as possible. I am tired! Yesterday a friend and I took our kids to Durham in the afternoon to see The Bodies Exhibition. I guess we were prolonging the science exposure. It is a traveling exhibit that we missed when we were in Philly last year. I had heard from a friend there that it is good, so we checked it out. It was quite amazing, but I think the big people got more out of it than the kids did. It is real bodies, dissected to show the different systems of the body. All of the bodies came from China. The interesting part to me was seeing the things that were wrong with the body, like polyps in the colon, cancer throughout the body, stroke in the brain, and a massive heart attack. Also of interest was the amazing intricacies of the body. The 3 bones in the ear are SOOOO tiny. The perfect little toes on a 13 week old fetus. The strands of capillaries. Someone has a lot more patience than I do to dissect all of that apart. ---------- #2 is a nut case. Last week he told me threw up a little bit, but he swallowed it down. Well don't do that I said, you should spit it out and rinse your mouth. "No," he replied, "it has nutritional value in it. It's like an animal eating the afterbirth for the protein." I assured him it was nothing like that and don't do it again, but he wasn't so convinced. Ugh.

No comments: