Saturday, August 11, 2007

I had a flashback yesterday of my professional teaching days. I was trying to think about the lessons for next week, and those for the other week of day camp lessons, and I had just finished the week of environmental lessons and was reviewing my success at that. I then remembered the days of lesson plans and was glad to be done with that! The environmental camp went well. Yesterday we made molds of the goat hoofprints. We were supposed to walk around the woods and look for animal prints to mold, but without any rain for so long it was going to be impossible. So we improvised and got our own tracks. I think the kids' favorite lesson was one about how much can land support. They were to take trees and water drops off of a grid as people moved in and see how long the natural resources lasted. I'm not sure why it was the favorite, but it was. Finally we have some relief from the heat. The last 4 days had temperatures in the hundreds and humidity that would soak you as soon as you stepped outside. The air conditioners couldn't keep up, and you tried to stay inside. The poor rabbits looked miserable, all sweaty and panting. We iced them several times a day, but I am sure they wanted more ice. Yesterday evening we finally got a good soaking, blowing storm and cleared the humidity out of the air. It was pleasant when I went to milk this morning. I know it was a soaking, blowing storm because I was in it. Hubby and I went out on the porch to enjoy the storm- I was enjoying, not him- and then he went inside. I decided to wait a few more minutes. When I tried to get back in, as the storm worsened, the door wouldn't open. I thought he was being a smartie pants and had locked me out, but actually the door jam screws had come loose and were catching the door closed. So I had to run around the house to the back door. It was kind of fun, actually. The door is now fixed.

No comments: