Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I asked my husband the other day if he thinks I am strange. He said he does. He brought it up again last night; he thinks I am strange. He picks out some of my behaviors as if they are foreign to the world around us. "You grind your own wheat, make fresh bread, milk a goat, buy raw milk from a farmer. You are a rabbit rancher, goatherd, chicken raiser. You hang laundry on the line when you have a dryer sitting in the laundry room!" My response, "I am saving the world. One load at a time, I am saving the world." I do not find these behaviors "strange" because in the world in which I grew up, these were normal behaviors of those around me. My mother still kept a garden this summer and last weekend was canning the last of the tomatoes and green beans. She also hangs her laundry on the line. Her mother continued to raise a garden until she couldn't walk to the garden any longer. It seems to be in my heritage to enjoy the fresh bounty of the world God gave us. Perhaps saving the world is a dying art, but I am keeping it up, even if I am strange.

No comments: