Monday, September 24, 2007

I went to a friend's house a few days ago to borrow something and ended up staying four hours!! The conversation turned to religion and I had to stay and visit. She has been checking out churches in the area, and has found them wanting. One was way too charismatic for her tastes, and the others that were what she is used to were not friendly. She said in one church no one at all spoke to her, and in other churches only the ushers spoke. As we were talking, the subject of our home school support group came up. She said it doesn't seem to be very accepting. I asked what she meant by that, since I have heard several people say that recently. She said that it is advertised as a Christian group that allows everyone to participate. But, she went on, they make it clear that they are going to try to change your view on religious issues. That may seem like we are being accepting, but people of other religious viewpoints would not want to come based on that. So in actuality you are separating yourself from everyone else. My problem with the group in the past has been that they are unaccepting of all Christians, choosing to judge for themselves whether or not someone is a Christian. I have tried to say that a home school support group is not a place to argue theology; can't we just accept Chirstians based on their belief in the Christ? But now I am thinking more about my friend's comment. Is it even a possibility to talk to a non-Christian in a Christian group that accepts other people? I am thinking it isn't, since I haven't met any non-Christians there. I am left wondering if perhaps I need to try a different group...

No comments: