Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I checked out a few DVDs at the university library on Sunday. One was called The Children's Hour and starred Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, and James Garner. It was made in the late 50's, I believe. #1 wanted to watch it with me last night and so we did. I had no idea what I was in for. It is a movie about 2 women who run a boarding school for girls. One of the girls is nasty and she tells a lie to her grandmother about the women. The lie is evidently that the women are lovers. The lie ruins so many people's lives. The school is closed down, it is in the national papers, the women lose everything, the fiance of one of the women loses his job by association, and in the end one of the women kills herself. I was shocked by the movie. I didn't turn it off because I knew there wouldn't be anything "shown" that I couldn't deal with; it was all discussion. I thought this might be one of the easiest ways to deal with a topic that I know is going to come up soon: homosexuality. We had a good talk about what it is, why it is wrong, and how no sin is worse than another. The girl's lie, the way people treated the women, the homosexuality- all are unholy in God's eyes.

No comments: